Thursday, 8 August 2013

Entangled by Cat Clarke

Entangled17-year-old Grace wakes up in a white room, with table, pens and paper - and no clue how she got there. As Grace pours her tangled life onto the page, she is forced to remember everything she's tried to forget. There's falling hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Nat, and the unravelling of her relationship with her best friend Sal. But there's something missing. As hard as she's trying to remember, is there something she just can't see? Grace must face the most important question of all. Why is she here?


This book really was something different and I am very surprised that I liked it as much as I did. Cat Clarke's writing style is perfect for this type of book and she makes it seem so true and real. The plot in particular was incredible and stood out quite a lot from any other book I've read before as it is constantly going between snippets of Grace's life before she tried to kill herself and after the event happened when she met "Ethan". 

Grace was a character that will probably stick with me for a long time, she was bold - she drank a lot and had slept with quite a few people but she was also incredibly innocent. It was tragic that she felt that life got so tough that she had to cut her wrists and it was also rather unfortunate that her innocence led to missing some crucial points in her relationships. There is a quote on the back of this book from an author saying that they didn't know whether at times to scream at Grace or hug her and I know exactly what she meant because although she did stupid things at times but you can't help but feel sorry for her as her life slowly unravels and she reveals the shocking truth as to why she attempted suicide.

I was incredibly impressed with this book and although it ends on a cliffhanger I was quite satisfied with the ending and you are left wanting to read more. I would give so much just for even one more chapter summing up what happened next. My opinion wasn't so positive throughout the entire book though. I loved the beginning and the end but a few times in the middle I found myself putting the book down and thinking "Why am I reading this?" as at times it did drag a little but I am very pleased that I completed the book. 

This review is part of the Summer Reading Smackdown for the book that was recommended by another blogger in this case - Jean

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.