Thursday, 15 August 2013

Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

Last October, when I was still at my old school, I met Becca Fitzpatrick. The school had brought her into give us a talk on books, her works and to sign copies. I bought a copy had it signed (there would be a picture of that but sadly I've misplaced the book). And I guess that the way she talked about her book with so much passion made me believe that it would be a really good read when actually, I thought the opposite.

One of the main things that I disliked from the start was the Prologue. This has absolutely no connection with the majority of the book and was dull, dreary and depressing. The first few sentences of a book are supposed to engage the reader and make them want to continue, but I felt anything but that. I continued anyway, because I wanted to find out what happened. The characters were also really not what I expected. When you look on the blurb of Hush Hush, one of the first sentences is "A forbidden love". Usually, when you think of a forbidden love you'd associate the theme with a very dark and mysterious character that conceals the majority of their emotions from the person they fall in love with. Patch was nothing like that, although you don't actually find out that he is a fallen angel until quite late on into the book he is very upfront with Nora from the start, clearly displaying the fact that he loves her and wants her to love him back. I also saw him as rather dangerous, not the dark, loveable kind of dangerous, but the creepy kind where strange things happen when he is around and Patch at times just seems to appear from nowhere. 

I also believe that Nora is incredibly naive in most of the book, especially because all these strange things are happening around just after her father has been murdered and then she befriends this secretive boy who happens to be an angel. She puts far to much trust in Patch considering that she has only just met him in the first few chapters, for example getting into his car, and sharing a Motel room, you just don't do that. And although I was incredibly disappointed with this book the only bit I did enjoy was scenes with Vee in. I found her witty, amusing and entertaining and really wish she had appeared more often.
                                                 
                                                    
Holly x
PS: This is my romance review for the SRS Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.