Sunday, 18 August 2013

Love Aubrey - Suzanne La Fleur

Love, AubreyA tragic accident has turned eleven-year-old Aubrey’s world upside down. Starting a new life all alone, Aubrey has everything she thinks she needs: Spaghetti O's and Sammy, her new pet fish. She cannot talk about what happened to her. Writing letters is the only thing that feels right to Aubrey, even if no one ever reads them.
With the aid of her loving grandmother and new friends, Aubrey learns that she is not alone, and gradually, she finds the words to express feelings that once seemed impossible to describe. The healing powers of friendship, love, and memory help Aubrey take her first steps toward the future.

I was not that impressed with this book given the hype that there had been about it a couple of years ago. I got this book three years ago when in my first term at High School they gave every first year a free book out of a selection of twelve. None of them were really that appealing and so I chose this one, as it stood out from the rest. I began reading it and at the time I really liked it, but then placed it on my bookshelf after three chapters and forgot about it. So I re-read those chapters and the rest of the book and here is what I think.

Although it is not immediately apparent what has happened before the book has begun, you instantly feel sorry for Aubrey and cannot help but like her. She is extremely innocent, rather naive and is clearly having trouble getting her head around the grief surrounding her past and what has happened to her parents and her little sister Savannah. At the beginning I really liked the character of Aubrey but as the book got further and further along Aubrey became less of Aubrey and became more of somebody else. 

As for the plot. I found that it dragged quite a bit at times and I just wanted things to speed up. Although Aubrey is only really alone in Virginia for two chapters, both of these segments were ridiculously slow and at times I really wanted to put the book down.  I was rather satisfied with the ending and it only made sense that the book ended in the way that it did but I felt that with every chapter I disliked the book a little less. Maybe it was because I loved what I read of it when I was eleven, but now I am fourteen, nearly fifteen and it just did not appeal as much to me as it did back then. Perhaps it is aimed at people who are aged at the age I got the book but I just could not really sink into a book like you do with a really good one and I don't think I would attempt to read it again.


Holly x
PS: This is the last of my reviews in the Summer Reading Smackdown. As you may realise it is for the book that I have been meaning to read for quite a while. There is still one more SRS post to go though, where I write a passage as my favourite character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.