Saturday, 17 August 2013

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)Winning will make you famous.Losing means certain death.In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.
May the odds be ever in your favour.

I liked and disliked this book at the same time, and I'm not quite sure how that works. Collins' writing style is certainly unique and I loved how the book was entirely from Katniss' point of view as you learn how tough, strong and brave she is although the reality is that she really does fear for her own and others lives. The characters were incredibly vivid and seemed almost real, especially people like Cinna and Prim (Primrose) who Katniss describes as having a face "as fresh as a raindrop, as lovely as the primrose for which she was named." The way Collins shapes the characters personality means that you like the characters you're supposed to like, and you dislike the ones you're supposed to dislike. 

This is a relatively short review as I don't really know how to explain both my love and hate for this book. This is the first dystopian novel I have ever read and it was great to be introduced to a new genre of fiction. I love the concept of dystopian novels being very different to anything else and being set perhaps in the future or another dimension or something like that. Suzanne Collins' writing was perfect for this type of book because it was a gripping tale and you were instantly sucked in and I didn't want to put it down. But amongst all of the good things, I just found it too gory and violent for my liking and in comparison to what I've read before, in particular things like the Cornucopia Bloodbath and Rue's death. So although I did enjoy the majority of the book and I liked how different it is from any other book, I don't think I will read the next to books in the trilogy - Catching Fire and Mockingjay.


Holly x
PS: This is my dystopian review for the Summer Reading Smackdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.