Thursday, 2 January 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives.
 But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

The way that I see it, when I'm buying books, if I don't feel engaged from the very first page, more likely than not I'm not going to like it. If I don't like what I read on the first page, then I probably won't buy it. Over the past few years I've established the fact that if that first page is brilliant, then I'm probably going to enjoy the book, and that is exactly how I felt about Divergent.

From the first page, the language was beautiful and flowed perfectly, the way it was wrote made me just want to read more and more and find out what was happening next. The very first sentence 
There is one mirror in my house. is purely captivating and I was just left thinking "I wonder where this is going." 

The plot was incredible as well. If you imagine a world where everybody is divided into different sections due to a certain quality they possess, it would mean that nobody would mix or understand one another. On top of that, people would grow to dislike one another, just because of the fact that they happen to be one thing more than another and therefore, live their life in a different way to say another person would. But then if you happen to be a combination of these qualities, it is believed that you should be killed. The Chicago that Tris lives in in reality is a truly brutal place. 
It sounds stuck up but I'd like to think I'm more than one of the five main qualities. I'd like to think that I'm brave. I'd like to think that I'm intelligent, and I'd like to think that I'm peaceful (I'm not so good at the other two things). 

I know that if I lived in Tris' futuristic Chicago that I'd be Divergent. I'd be killed, and that is just wrong.

The characters were wonderful and I don't know if everyone who reads this feels the same but I honestly think that all of the characters, even Tris had a side that I loved and I hated and that's something that you don't often find in books. In most books, you are supposed to either love a character or hate them, but all of them in Divergent have a good side and a dark side, reflecting what the society that they live in has done to everybody whom lives within it.

I wouldn't say that this is one of my favourite, but that doesn't mean I can't give it five stars and  I would say that it is definitely an incredible and gripping page turner which I would happily read again.

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.