Saturday, 4 January 2014

Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Geek Girl (Geek Girl, #1)Harriet Manners knows a lot of things. She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves.

Geek Girl was far from what I expected it to be, it was charming, witty and sweet. When I first heard the ideas behind it, how a geeky girl was spotted by a modelling agency and started modelling for a very famous company I was seriously tempted never to read it. I didn't like the idea of the phrase on the cover "from geek to chic". But then I heard so many good reviews about it and I decided to pick it up off my bookshelf from where it had been collecting dust for the past five months before hand. 

I was really impressed by this book and found the majority of the characters really loveable. I really liked Richard, Harriet's Dad and I sort of wish that he was my Dad. He was incredibly supportive of Harriet no matter what decision she made and not many people are actually like that in life. And, although at first I'm not sure if many people did like her, I definitely warmed to Annabel. I didn't immediately I thought she was very caring but quite cold but as the plot progressed, she just became more and more likeable. The one character bar Yuka that I just couldn't stand was Wilbur and I know that Charli and Sabrina will hate me for saying this but he just drove me up the wall, I admit he was rather funny but the majority of the time he was unbelievably irritating.

Harriet was someone who was delightful to get to know through the pages of this book. She was apart from Hermione Granger, one of the most easy to relate to characters that I have ever read about. No, I am possibly the furthest you can get from being a model but I have gone through some of the same experiences as her. For the first three years of high school, I was constantly bullied for being a geek and at times I had absolutely no one to turn to. You may remember me saying this in my 
Bloggers on Bullying post but I had a terrible time when people picked on me, just because I know a lot of stuff and I really want to learn. A lot of people shouted at me things like "Geek" "Freak" "Nerd" "Bod" and "Weirdo" simply because I wanted a good education and didn't want to cause trouble.

Like Harriet I have had the word Geek brandished and scrawled on my belongings such as my planner, my dictionary and my bag. There is a scene around half way through the book where somebody says whilst the teacher leaves the room "Hands up if you hate Harriet Manners" and everybody puts their hand up. That is another thing that I have had happen to me before and so I empathised with Harriet more than I sympathised with her. The plot was very quickly paced and I loved how I constantly wanted to read more. I flew through this in two days and absolutely adored the book. I love how she uses the perfect simile to describe herself - a polar bear in a rain forest. I'd say more books should have characters like Harriet but if they did then books like Geek Girl wouldn't be so unique so I'll just leave it there.

"Nobody hopped into a wardrobe to find Narnia; they hopped in, thinking it was just a wardrobe. They didn't climb up the Faraway Tree, knowing it was a Faraway Tree; they thought it was just a really big tree. Harry Potter thought he was a normal boy; Mary Poppins was supposed to be a regular nanny. It's the first and only rule. Magic comes when you're not looking for it.” 

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.