Friday, 14 February 2014

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. She is less than thrilled about boarding school in Paris - until she meets √Čtienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, he has it all - including a serious girlfriend. Will Anna get her French kiss? (Worst. Synopsis. Ever.)

When I first heard of this book I didn't take much interest in it whatsoever. When I read a synopsis like this, I think of something that is a bit too how shall we say... conventionally soppy. There is this plot of an american girl falling in love with the gorgeous boy despite the fact that there are a lot of hurdles along the way. Over time, this plot has become so conventional that you don't need to read the book to know what's going to happen. Then I started to read great reviews (particularly Amber's excellent one) and found that the book was very successful. By chance I entered a goodreads giveaway from Usborne for this book and I won and I read it. I've realised how wrong I was.


Usborne sent me this with a postcard and hot chocolate! (which was really lovely of them) And all I can say is thank you SO much to them for sending this because all I can say is that my mind was boggled.



Anna wasn't the stereotypical teenage american girl that I was so afraid of, she was intelligent, witty, sensitive and just like a lot of completely normal people, puzzledly wrapped up in her emotions. She was real. All the characters were so different in an ironically similar way and St. Clair! St Clair was just one of the most endearing, sweet people I've ever had the pleasure to read about and from the very beginning I rooted for him and Anna to be together. The awkwardness between Anna and St. Clair was so perfect and made so much sense. It wasn't the scenario where they lock eyes across the room and immediately fall in love -  they had their ups and downs and completely messed up at times but they fell in love in a way to quote TFiOS, slowly and then all at once. 


Just one tiny little thing that I need to rant about; THE DESCRIPTION! The description throughout this book was just phenomenal, and it is very clear that Stephanie Perkins has a knack for setting the perfect scene. The way it was wrote made me feel like I was there with Anna and St Clair. 


Read this, and forget about the awful title. Read this and forget about the terrible synopsis. Read this and love it. Read this because you can.



Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.