Saturday, 8 February 2014

The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan

The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBanEvery year at an exclusive private boarding school in New York state, the graduating students uphold an old tradition - they must swear an oath of secrecy and leave behind a "treasure" for each incoming senior. When Duncan Meade inherits the room and secrets of Tim Macbeth, he uncovers evidence of a clandestine romance, and unravels the truth behind one of the biggest mysteries in the school's history.

I bought this book back in September when I happened to see it by chance. There were no other copies, nor had I ever seen any other copies of The Tragedy Paper. It was just there, and I liked the sound of it. If I had known how much I would dislike it then I would have never have picked it up.Duncan is in his senior year of high school, and on the first day of the year all the seniors are left a gift from the senior who previously resided in their bedroom. For Duncan, he receives some CD's from Tim, upon which lie his tragedy paper, an infamous essay wrote by the seniors each year. Duncan listens to the tragedy unfold, and learns where he fits into it. 

One thing I can praise this book on is the beautiful description that was displayed throughout the novel. The way the snowy weather when they were stranded at the airport and the appearance of Vanessa was always wrote so perfectly. The scenarios within this book were really easy to imagine but apart from that, it was all downhill. 

The plot was slowly paced and didn't seem to really go anywhere. Throughout the book there was this sense of constant anticipation of a horrific tragedy taking place and whilst the build up to it was pretty terrible - no sense of foreshadowing or indication of what was really going to happen - I was in a very ironic way looking forward to the eventual tragedy. The tragedy was not even a tragedy at all, I admit it was unfortunate for Tim what happened but it was the inevitable, NOT a tragedy.


If anything, this book was a tragedy.


Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.