Friday, 21 March 2014

Pick a Book... Any Book



I have a bit of a problem. And I need your help.

In less than a week, as part of GCSE History I'm going away to Belgium. When I moved to my school last January, my friends had already started paying for the trip and then when somebody dropped out in December, I quickly grabbed the place. 
So next Thursday for three days 35 of us - 32 girls and 3 boys are going away to visit the Battlefields of WW1.

Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to going however there is one big problem.
Which books do I take with me?

Bearing in mind that the 7 hour journey from Manchester to Dover and then the 2 hour Ferry from Dover to Calais, and then the journey from Calais to Ypres which is going to be a few more hours is only getting there I'm going to need substantially good reading material. Obviously this sounds like a simple task to some people but is harder than it sounds. 

I also need to stress that on our packing lists one of the things that was mentioned was "Appropriate reading material" meaning that it probably wouldn't be appropriate to take any historical WW1/ WW2 fiction along with me.

So no... I can't take the Book Thief.

Here are some of the books I've thought of:
The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Matched by Allie Condie
Undone by Cat Clarke
172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

I'd love it if anyone who reads this could comment below and tell me what they suggest I should take, whether it is in the picture above or if you have some recommendations. Either way I'd really appreciate your help so please let me know.

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.