Sunday, 4 May 2014

Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick & Suzanne Young

Just Like FateThe Caroline is at a crossroads. Her whole family is on her back, and her grandmother, the only person who really understands her, is sick, maybe dying. All she wants to do is escape. So when her best friend suggests a night out to forget her troubles, Caroline must choose: stay by her grandmother's side, or go to the party and live her life . . . and maybe meet the boy of her dreams. 
This decision will split Caroline's fate into two separate paths - and she's about to live them both. But there can only be one happy ending . . .

I was sent this book from Electric Monkey in exchange for an honest review. In no way has my opinion been effected through receiving this book.

I was surprised at how impressed I was by this book. I really enjoyed it and to be honest, I didn't think I'd like it at all. At the beginning of the book, Caroline's grandmother dies, and Caroline is given two choices just before the death - STAY and be with her Grandmother at the time of her death, or GO to the party that her best friend is attending and never get to say goodbye to the family member she is closest to.

I really liked Caroline's character. She was an interesting character to read in the perspective of as each pathway she chooses is completely different to the other. She never  really contradicts herself or does foolish things, which I admit I often feel is a stereotype in American high school students in fiction. As much as I liked her, part of me believes she was a little too naive to be realistic. Like there was a scene in the STAY half of the book in which Caroline slept with her friend even though she didn't really want to and all I could think was "How can you be so stupid!" I think that parts like that made the STAY half not work very well.

The plot overall was really good and gripping. I think I read this in two or three days which is good for someone like me who is a rather slow reader. The main issue I have with books that are co-authored is that sometimes the writing doesn't flow from one chapter to the next because of the contrasting writing styles, but this really worked, and honestly if it wasn't mentioned on the cover, I wouldn't think this book had two authors at all. However, my only problem was that I really, really didn't like the STAY half of the book and don't think it was anywhere near as effective as it could have been. Other than that, I must say that I was disappointed by the fact that even after finishing the book, it still isn't clear whether Caroline chose to stay or go. But apart from those little things, I really enjoyed reading this.


Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.