Thursday, 26 June 2014

Scared of the Hype



Ever since reading Cat from Through A Cat's Eyes post on books that she's scared to read because of the hype which you can see HERE, I've wanted to do a post like this myself. 
A lot of the books that I read I have found through other bloggers who have raved about them, and often. The majority of other books I've read have been cast into my radar through joyous reviews on Goodreads and rants about them on BookTube. I do read unpopular books, just not as many as the ones that are popular. Unfortunately, this is just how I read. However, some of these books have gathered dust on by bookshelves since I bought them, simply because I'm scared of the hype that surrounds their content.

So today I'm showing you 5 of the books that I really should have read by now, but haven't because I'm scared of the hype.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. 
A book that has less hype surrounding it but is an incredibly popular book and I feel ashamed to have not read it, yet.  I bought this book TWO years ago and there is a tiny sticker on the front saying "Read it before you watch it," because at the time I bought this it was about 6 months before The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was released. As you may probably sense by now I went and watched the film before I read the book - and it was amazing (as well as extremely long). However, I never got round to seeing the second film and the third is yet to be released. This is one I plan on reading before completing the film trilogy.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Profess your anger at me all you want but the fact is that I haven't read this book. After buying it in January I read about half but school took over and I had to put it down. I plan on reading this over the summer. The hype over this book has really put me off though, because out of what I read unlike everyone else I wasn't blown away. It was kind of just "meh". But I WILL get to this soon!

Paper Towns by John Green
This book doesn't have as much hype as the other books but it is a John Green book and therefore, hype. The Fault in Our Stars is one of my favourite books - read it loved it, re-read it and watched the film. Looking For Alaska wasn't my cup of tea. I bought this when I was in Trafalgar Square's Waterstones whilst in London last year and ideally given that I'm going back to London in August I'd like to read it before then. There is just so much hype surrounding John Green books and after liking one and disliking one I'm kind of scared of what I'll think when I pick up a third book of his.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth. 
Ah, Insurgent. I loved Divergent, but to put this short and sweet, there is too much hype over Insurgent and going into the book several times with thoughts of the hype in my head has meant that I've had to put it down. Whether I'll ever read it, I don't know. All I know is that the hype is just too much with this one.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (AKA J.K Rowling)
There is the assumption that just because J.K Rowling wrote the Harry Potter books which were phenomenal, that every other book she writes will be just as good. I feel that because of that assumption I'll go into the Cuckoo's Calling thinking highly of it - when actually, it might be terrible. 

Are there any books you're scared to read because of the hype? Please let me know in the comments.

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.