Thursday, 7 August 2014

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

LandlineGeorgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems besides the point now. Maybe that was always besides the point. Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her. When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything. That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . . 

*Tightly embraces book*

God knows when this review will actually be posted, but right now on the 26th of July, I finished Landline 4 hours ago. These past four hours have felt colourless, drained and dull compared to the many moments I spent reading this. Landline was a splash of colour that has kicked off my Summer holiday perfectly.

I'm going to attempt to write this whilst the internal monologue of fangirling is going on, but I can't guarantee if this will be coherent because this book was just stunning. One of the things I loved the most was that Landline was clearly very character driven and the characters are something that I want focus on greatly here.

Georgie, Neal, Seth etc, I adored them all, but each and every character obviously had their flaws. Through the book I was often flipping between supporting Georgie to supporting Neal and I like the way that was done. Personally I liked Neal a lot, I know some people don't and that's understandable given his cold, emotionless manner, but honestly, Neal was one of my favourite characters. And Seth! (Sorry I know this has become a bit rambly) Seth was amazing, witty and loveable although towards the end when he confessed his love for Georgie, about 20 years too lateI did feel extremely sorry for him.

The relationships in this book were incredible. I loved the dynamic of Georgie and Seth's close friendship, and that worked so well. Also, this may come across as a controversial opinion, but I really appreciated Georgie and Neal's relationship; yes, it was going through struggles and they didn't have a great connection at times - BUT THAT'S LIFE! I'm too young to be married but anyone, no matter how old or young knows that that's life, there are ups and downs. However, their love was so strong in flashbacks that I just wanted to give them both a massive hug.

Plot wise, I just need a second to express how great the plot of Landline was. Divided up into sections following the course of the week running up to Christmas, the story flowed fluidly and after putting it down for the night and picking it up the next day, this story was very easy to follow. Every little aspect made perfect sense, the whole debacle with the pizza made sense later on, as did the pregnant pug. That yellow phone! Obviously, magic isn't a quality that has come across in any other books Rowell has wrote, but it was just perfect here. And the link that the phone had to the rest of the story was simply ingenius in my eyes. Can I also point out, as a Potterhead, the several Harry Potter references that just...gah!

Overall, Landline will make you laugh, smile and potentially cry, but it will find a way into your heart and remain there for a long, long time.



Meow,
Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.