Sunday, 14 September 2014

Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant

Messenger of FearThe Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear. But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out .

I received an ARC review copy of this from Electric Monkey, in no way have my opinions been effected through this.

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen this tweet a few days ago.

Surprised. When I finished this book, that was how I felt. Happily surprised.

Messenger of Fear follows Mara, a girl who wakes up in what appears to be an unknown place, and standing by her is a guy called Messenger. He is the Messenger of Fear. When people do wrong, the Messenger gives a verdict of whether they deserve a punishment or not, if they play and win, they can go on with their lives, but if they loose, trouble ensues.

If you didn't know, I actually did a cover reveal for this book back in late June, and in August, I received a large box consisting of an arc of Messenger of Fear, playing cards and postcards, reading the back of the box only added more mystery to this story and I knew I had to read this book.  

Messenger of Fear was devoured within 2 hours - which really showed me what a page turner this book was. So fast paced, intriguing and mysterious that I couldn't do anything other than read on. It got later and later into the day, I had things to do, but I couldn't but Messenger of Fear down. 

I feel like I really shouldn't say very much here, because it would probably ruin the book if you know too much, but in simple terms, it is gruesome, violent, gory and rather unpleasant at times - everything I hate in a book - and yet I quite honestly loved this. The ending is an absolute shock, something that you won't see coming and more likely than not you'll just want to say "WHAT?!". 

The perfect Sci-Fi - Horror - Fantasy book, and certainly a must read.


Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.