Friday, 31 October 2014

October Book Haul





I know it's Halloween, but I don't do spooky books....

This month seemed to be a month where I'd buy a book, read it, and then once again have nothing to read. Thus leading to an endless cycle of buying books which isn't great for my bank account but oh well.
The first two books I bought this month were The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton which is about Ava - a girl who was born with wings. The cover is gorgeous and this inside is just as stunning - cannot recommend this book enough. A week later I then went and bought Writing in the Sand by Helen Brandom. I'd wanted this book for months so I'm glad I finally got the opportunity to read it. Unfortunately, it didn't exactly live up to my expectations.

The lovely people at Macmillan sent me three books for review - Aritchoke Hearts by Sita Biracharmi (I think that's her name?), My True Love Gave To Me (which is an anthology of Christmas romance stories by 12 different authors e.g. Rainbow Rowell and Stephanie Perkins) and additionally Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. If you've been here a while then you may remember me hauling Fangirl back in January, but when I was offered the opportunity to review a hardback special edition, I couldn't resist.

My Ninja Book Swap also arrived part way through this month. My partner Talia from Read Between the Scenes kindly sent an amazing parcel which included Graceling by Kristin Cashore, and Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley. So far I've only read Lies We Tell Ourselves and it was incredible. Thank you so much once again Talia for sending me these books.

The final three books have been purchased over the past 4 days. This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales is about bullying and suicide - rather pessimistic but a really interesting read that I picked so I had something to read whilst I was staying in Chester on Monday/Tuesday. Finally yesterday whilst out with my friend Gabby we went and spent a RIDICULOUSLY long time sitting on the floor in the YA section of our local Waterstones. A lot of books were on a Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price offer so I picked up Trouble by Non Pratt which is a novel about Teen Pregnancy and The Jewel by Amy Ewing which if I'm not mistaken is like a retake on The Handmaid's Tale and is combined with another book that I can't recall but it sounds AMAZING.

Holly x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.