Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Top 14 Books of 2014

I'm guessing that most people are going to do a top ten, but I want to go for the full fourteen, as this is being typed before I've decided the whole list and I don't think I can stick to just ten. Also I know that this pile looks like it's going to fall over - thankfully it didn't, but it took such a long time to take a photo.

#1 - Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Yes, out of nearly 100 books - Fangirl is the best book I read in 2014.  I read this in February, but nothing beat it in the 10 months that followed. Maybe it's because it's got a Harry Potter parody within the book. Maybe it's because Cath sounds exactly like me - I write Harry Potter fanfiction, have anxiety/ OCD tendencies, and I want to do creative writing at University. But Fangirl is potentially my favourite book of all time. The writing was sweet and humorous, whilst dealing with serious matters as well. This made Mel feel even more passionate about my dream to become an author. Being my book of the year, I have done a full review of this in my previous post. (Read in February)


#2 - Landline by Rainbow Rowell

I know, another Rainbow Rowell, but this was very close to succeeding Fangirl as my favourite book. The way Rowell incorporated magical realism into the story was phenomenal, and I felt like every word had to be considered sacred as it was just beautiful. So many things in this book could be quoted, but I'd go on forever. Everything with this book was just so perfect, that if I continue talking I won't stop. (Read in July)


#3 - Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

This was the last book I ever expected to be in my top 3 books of the year - but this is the first time I think I've ever properly experienced THE FEELS. I expected this to be cheesy and fluffy - things I didn't like at the time. This completely changed my opinions, and I couldn't stop thinking about Anna and St Clair for days on end. (Read in January)


#4 - We Were Liars by E Lockhart

It's really hard to describe this book without going into spoilers, but We Were Liars was the most unusual, mysterious book I read all year. You would read 10 pages and it felt like 50. Everything was so vague and the twist was shocking even if I almost got it right. The main reason that this is so special is because it created a sense of paranoia in me, and the most bizarre psychological effects that I've ever experienced - books don't do that, but We Were Liars did. (Read in August)


#5 - Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

I go back and forth as to which out of this and ANNA I prefer, but I like this a little less. There are so many passages in this book that I just want to cut out and stick on my walls. Such beautiful writing and a gripping tale. (Read in June)


#6 You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher

Originally, I wanted to read this book because I'm obsessed with McFly and Giovanna is married to the lead singer, but You're the One That I Want blew me away. The plot wasn't exactly groundbreaking, but it was wonderfully simplistic and heartwarming.
 (Read in November)


#7 - Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

People have been comparing this to The Perks of Being A Wallflower since before it's release, and yes, it does have Wallflower-esque elements, but I felt this to be more to my taste than what it's allegedly based on. The prose was just gorgeous and I couldn't help but fall in love with the characters - especially Laurel and Sky. (Read in May)


#8 - Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley

My favourite quote from the review I wrote of this is "This is historical fiction. If you don't like Historical Fiction, then read this book."  Taken out of context, that doesn't make sense but the reality is that this book made me change my opinion on Historical fiction. Talley combines themes of Racism, sexism and LGBT perfectly and I haven't stopped recommending this since finishing the book. (Read in October)


#9 - Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Not as high on the list as it's predecessors because it wasn't as great... But still - so fluffy and sweet and really, really charming. Probably on this list for the cameo appearances, vivid passages, and THE THING that happens near the end - you'll know what I'm talking about if you read this! (Read in August)


#10 - The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

It's really difficult to tell you about this book as my feelings on it are just confusing. I could get my copy, cut out any sentence from the entire book - and that sentence can be guaranteed to be beautiful. The ending destroyed me and provided Ava Lavender nightmares, so prepare yourself. (Read in October)


#11 - Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium is probably the only dystopian series that I've actually loved. Yes, the books do go downhill after book 1 but I was just gripped from the very beginning. The concept of love being a disease and people just not feeling emotions is so intriguing. (Read in April)


#12 - The Jewel by Amy Ewing

So many people dislike this book but in my opinion it was amazing. The Jewel is the start of a new series and was a brilliant debut for Ewing. The day I read this, I went in hoping to read 10 pages; I looked up and realised I'd read 150 - that's how brilliant this was. The ending too! I cannot wait for the next book! (Read in November)


#13 - Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt

I received this for review from Electric Monkey and was blown away by it's content. Skin Deep is about a girl who was seriously burnt and is now under the belief that "Ugly people don't have feelings." The character development was done so well and the main twist in the story was utterly heartbreaking. (Read in April)


#14 - Finding Cherokee Brown by Siobhan Curham

Finally, we have reached my number 14 spot. FUN FACT: Yes, this is the real writer of Girl Online too. Finding Cherokee Brown reminded me of what it's like to be bullied and was such an inspiring story of daring to dream and pulling through. The writing wasn't my normal taste but it really worked in this book.


So those are my top 14 books of 2014! Have you read any of these? What was your favourite book of 2014? Please let me know in the comments.

Thank you for sticking with me throughout 2014, here's to another year packed with bookish posts!

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.