Friday, 23 January 2015

December Book Haul


Because I got so many books last month, I've decided to divide this haul up, and not go into too much detail about each book, otherwise you'll be reading this for what seems like years. 


Birthday
My birthday was on 24th December, and it was a pretty good day for receiving books. I'd not asked for any books for my birthday but my parents had seen some that they thought I'd like and hit the nail on the head. These were Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, The Giver by Lois Lowry, Mary Poppins by P L Travers, and finally Summer's Dream by Cathy Cassidy as I'd read the previous two books when I was younger. 

My mum also got me a collection of condensed Shakespeare plays which she thought would help in preparation for A Level English Literature - I've already read Twelfth Night from the set and adored it.  She also kindly gave me a Gothic Classics Collection that consisted of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Dracula by Bram Stoker, The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe, and The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Christmas 
My main present for Christmas was a £50 Waterstones gift card from my mum which I'm thrilled about, and am saving the money for some new releases. She also got me Changeling by Phillipa Gregory, Awful Auntie and Ratburger by David Walliams, and the Doctor Who 11 Doctors: 11 Stories anthology. 
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi was a present from my Dad, which I enjoyed, but am not too fussed about continuing with the series.

For review/bought
Headline kindly sent me Our Zoo by June Mottershead. This is the story of how Chester Zoo was formed, Mottershead being the daughter of it's creator. It's a lovely read so far as being set in Manchester, there are a lot of references to where I live and it's interesting to see what it was like nearly 100 years ago.
Electric Monkey at Egmont also sent me Me and Mr J by Rachel McIntyre as well as Can't Look Away by Donna Cooner. Reviews of both books will be up soon.

Finally, and I hope you're all proud because this is the only book I bought all month - on December 27th, I went into a local charity shop and saw Cinder by Marissa Meyer in perfect condition. Anywhere else this would have cost me £8, but Banardos charged only 99p for it! And it was brilliant! 

So that is all the books I gained in December *big sigh*. Have your read any of these? 
Let me know in the comments!

Holly x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.