Friday, 19 June 2015

MINI REVIEWS: One Thing Stolen & The It-Girl

One Thing StolenPublisher: Abrams & Chronicle
Publication Date: 14th April 2015
Pages: 272 (Hardback) 
Genre: Contemporary 
Source: Publisher 
Rating: 3 Stars 
Something is not right with Nadia Cara. She’s become a thief. She has secrets she can’t tell. And when she tries to speak, the words seem far away. In Florence, Italy, with her epicurean brother, professor father, and mother who helps at-risk teens, Nadia finds herself trapped by her own obsessions and following the trail of an elusive Italian boy whom no one but herself has seen. While her father researches a flood that nearly destroyed Florence in 1966, Nadia wonders if she herself can be rescued—or will she disappear?

One Thing Stolen was mystical, artistic, and elegant. The surface was just the tip of the iceberg with dark, intricate plots running deep into the heart of the story. It is by all means intriguing. But it wasn't for me. 

I thoroughly loved the description and the majority of the writing. The way that Nadia sees the world and the way she talks about everyday objects and sights made me want to write and paint and create; not many books do that for me. The backdrop setting  of Florence was a character itself, and I wanted to know more and more about Nadia and her life simply from the first few pages. But that's as far as my love for this book goes.

There were some aspects that personally, I feel didn't work. LACK OF SPEECH MARKS. I know this helps to describe Nadia's condition and is a constant stream of thought, but I found that incredibly hard to read. Also I know it adds to the mysteriousness of the book, but I feel that Nadia's condition could have been explained a lot better than it was. One Thing Stolen was a lovely read, but it just had a lot of things missing in my eyes.
The It-GirlPublisher: Electric Monkey
Publication Date: 7th May 2015
Pages: 352
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Anna Huntley's aims in life: 1) Must keep my two lovely new (and only) school friends by not doing anything in usual manner of socially inept dork and outcast. 2) Train Dog (my labrador) to high-five. This is probably the most ambitious life goal on this list. 3) Do not set the school's Deputy Queen Bee mean girl's hair on fire (again). 4) Work out whether 2) and 3) constitute being socially inept or outcastish. 5) Go to Africa and give out rice. 6) To hide in a cupboard FOR LIFE with Dog now Dad is engaged to one of the most famous actresses EVER, the paparazzi want to smash my face all over the papers and everyone in school (and The World) is soon to discover the level of my social ineptitude.
Laugh-out-loud funny running with parallels to Geek Girl by Holly Smale, this is a truly great read. With a concise, flowing plot, this was really easy to read at a time when I felt quite low and I can guarantee Anna and her antics will bring a smile to your face. Although she is particularly clumsy; accidentally setting fire to a girl's hair etc, anyone who is socially awkward and struggles in new situations will heavily relate to our main character.

The plot of being thrown into the spotlight for reasons out of your control was incredibly interesting. Because really, how would you react if you were put into Anna's situation? The way this aspect of the book developed was really well done, and this is an admirable debut novel. Sadly I don't have much more to say, because all I can keep saying is that this book really made me laugh. At times, this wasn't always my kind of book, but nevertheless, if you need cheering up, I'd highly recommend this. 




Thank you to Abrams & Chronicle, and Electric Monkey for sending me these two books for review. It was really appreciated.
Holly x

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of intrigued by One Thing Stolen because ART. I love art. I love books that make me want to art....so I'm definitely looking it up on Goodreads. XD (Cover love, also, I'm notorious for cover love. hehehe) Buuuut the second one probably wouldn't do anything for me. XD Loved reading your reviews though! Short and sweet. :)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ART <3 I guess sometimes it is good to judge a book by it's cover
      Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.