Monday, 13 July 2015

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: 5th January 2012
Pages: 387
Genre: Sci-Fi, Retelling
Source: Bought
Rating: 3 Stars 
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly inds hersel at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal,, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

By now, you may have gathered that my favourite genre is contemporary, and I find it really difficult to immerse myself in any other genres. Science Fiction is the last genre I thought I'd enjoy. But Cinder has changed this opinion.

In case you didn't know already from the title and cover, Cinder is a fairytale retelling of Cinderella with a Sci-Fi twist. The twist is that Cinder is a cyborg, and that little thing sends the story in a completely different direction.

When I mentioned a "completely different direction", that's exactly what I mean. The story was SO different from the original fairy tale, but if you keep an eye out, you notice the little details that are so key in Cinderella e.g; The Fairy Godmother isn't noticeable at first, nor is the pumpkin carriage. I've always loved fairy tales, and I feel that the way Marissa Meyer transformed such a famous tale into a terrifying futuristic novel in which humans live on both the Earth and the Moon, but the two are at war.

This is very much a character driven book - and I immediately found myself liking Cinder. She was so misunderstood and ignored in her society because of an accident in her past that meant she lost an arm and a leg, thus now being a cyborg. Kai is also a brilliant character, although he is easily swayed by others - Queen Levana to name an example. Levana is such a mysterious ruler and clearly is symbolic of pure evil. 

Don't worry, I'll stop rambling in a moment but I just want to talk about my favourite character from the book..... Iko! Iko is Cinder's android friend and she is just hilarious. At the time of writing this, I'm currently reading book 2 and if Iko carries on like this, she may soon be one of my favourite characters from any book :)

This certainly isn't the fairy tale you'll remember, but it definitely isn't one you will forget.
Holly x

9 comments:

  1. Great review! I really hope I can read this book soon. I also really like reading contemporary or at least realistic fiction more than other genres. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Here is my post: http://bluebooksandbutterflies.blogspot.com/2015/07/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll check the post out!

      Delete
  2. IKO IS LIKE MY FAVOURITE THING EVERRRR. XD I love this book! I originally had trouble getting into it...I think I read half of it and then the library demanded it back, but, omg, I'm such a fan now and I am so desperate for the last books of the series. I love the writing and I love how Marissa Meyer weaves in the old tales while keeping it fresh and unique. xD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iko is just... she's fantabulous.
      The way that Marissa Meyer adds in little hints at the original fairytale, like you said, is extraordinary

      Delete
  3. I so agree with this!! This book was so not what I was expecting - it was so much more! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And - I don't know how I didn't figure it out before but I just realized who the Fairy Godmother is!! But I don't really know what the pumpkin reference is... My memory is failing me haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an orange car which Cinder travelled in - that represented the Pumpkin :)

      Delete
  4. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SERIES and you've written a wonderful review of it Holly! I also loved how subtle the re-telling was and it made it even more exciting because it wasn't obviously a fairy tale re-telling of Cinderella in the sense that it was VERY unique. And yes! I loved how character driven it was and how much I connected to all the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hawwa!!! I think this IS my favourite series. I love this comment as it's true, it's noticeable that it's a retelling, but the uniqueness means you don't care if the plot goes a different way.

      Delete
  5. I love finding other contemporary lovers - so many of my fave book bloggers/vloggers are sci-fi crazy and I can't always relate. Ha! But now I'm feeling I might have to tip my toes into the Cinder world; it sounds amazing. :)

    www.reviewsloveem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.