Wednesday, 2 December 2015

5 Books You Need to Read This Winter





The air is bitterly cold and the trees are growing bare. Knowing that Winter is just around the corner. As they days grow shorter and the nights longer, you will definitely need some great reading material to fall in love with on the coldest of evenings.


A wonderfully diverse graphic novel, bursting with colour, emotion, and humour. Nimona is a story of love, fantasy, science, dragons and sidekicks. At just under 300 pages, this is lovely for nights when you climb into a warm bed and watch the pages come to life right before your eyes. The art is stunningly beautiful and is filled with warmth. You don't even have to like science. I hate science and still love this to pieces. [REVIEW]

Walton's debut novel wasn't written, it was delicately crafted and woven with threads of the past. This isn't a happy story. It's a story of lost love, betrayal and desperate times in Ava's family history. Oh... and Ava has wings. A bittersweet and horrifyingly tragic tale at times, but the descriptions of Seattle, the character development, and enchantingly gorgeous prose make it an absolute must read. 

Okay, so you've probably read this, or heard me mention it a thousand times. But hear me out. Not only is Rainbow Rowell exceptionally good at writing love stories that make your heart want to explode, but this is set in the week running up to Christmas. As always Rainbow Rowell has created an endearing story that will make you smile so hard you'll melt the snow outside. [REVIEW]
My True Love Gave to Me
The truth is I didn't finish this last year, but am going to reattempt it this Christmas. My True Love Gave to Me is an anthology of Christmassy short stories by some of the famous names in YA fiction. There is such a variety of contemporary, magical realism, and fantasy stories, and all by some of the best loved authors. These are fluffy, sweet, and great for reading in the 12 days running up to Christmas Day. If you want a book that'll get you excited for the festive season, then this is exactly what you need. 


The Jewel by Amy Ewing
I read this last November, on a cold Sunday afternoon and was hooked all the way through. Amy Ewing's writing is truly addictive. The Jewel is set on a dystopian island where the royalty can't have children themselves, and so use surrogates- teenagers who have magical powers- to create heirs. Enchanting and captivating, with every shock, twist, and turn, you will fall deeper in love with Violet's chronicle. This won't be everybody's cup of tea, but if you liked The Handmaid's Tale or The Selection. [REVIEW]

What are your Winter must reads?

Holly x

10 comments:

  1. Great picks. The Jewel sounds particularly good, I'll need to get around to reading it soon. I'll ashame myself now and shock you, I still haven't read The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. I have to at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You must read TSABSOAL - it's ridiculously beautiful!!!

      Delete
  2. I've heard some great things about The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender (takes a deep breath because OMG that is a mouthful) and The Jewel! Definitely going to have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - it's SUCH a mouthful! Happy Reading!

      Delete
  3. Awk, I really want to read Landline! I've read two of Rainbow Rowell's YA books, but I neeeeed to try her adult ones too because her writing is JUST BEAUTIFUL. :D
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her writing is just as amazing in her adult books - promise! Happy Reading!

      Delete
  4. I'm planning on re-reading My True Love Gave to Me as soon as I can - I've been feeling horribly unfestive, and I'm hoping that that should get me in the mood for Christmas! And now I'm really sad that I didn't ask for The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender for Christmas... It sounds wonderful!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TSABSOAL is wonderful - definitely read it when you get the chance x

      Delete
  5. I really want to read Nimona! I've never read a graphic novel before, so I'm a bit scared of it, but you've made me even more curious to see if I like them or not. The Jewel sounds amazing too - I'm surprised I haven't heard more of it! It seems right up my street. As does My True Love Gave to Me (which I'm desperate to read this Christmas). Thanks for these recommendations, Holly ♥

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading what you've said, Nimona was actually my first graphic novel and it's a great entry into that genre.
      THANK YOU xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.