Tuesday, 5 April 2016

MINI REVIEWS -- APRIL 2016

The It Girl - Team Awkward by Katy Birchall

Team Awkward (The It Girl, #2)Everything Anna does is going to be seen by more than 10 million people, then she's determined to find something that she's really good at. Everyone else seems to have a 'thing' - especially the new girl at school, who's been distracting Connor with their shared love of art. Luckily the school sports day is looming, and Anna is limbering up! What could go wrong?

Reading Birchall's debut in May, I found it witty, light hearted, and a pick-me-up in book form. I still stand by that, but compared to The It Girl, Team Awkward was disappointing. 

Presumably, this a case of it depends on what you have already read, because it was my past reading experiences that meant I didn't enjoy this as much as perhaps I would have had I not read Geek Girl by Holly Smale. In many ways, The It Girl series is very similar to Smale's Geek Girl series. Actually it's similar in the reasons as to why I gave up reading the Geek Girl series. Truth be told, if there were any more books in The It Girl series, I'd definitely choose not to read them. 

Anna came across as naive, foolish, and immature. She never really acted her age, and that was difficult to read. Something that has also regressed in Team Awkward is that the writing was undeniably juvenile. Book 2 in the It Girl series felt like another case of an adult author trying to hard to get into the mindset of a teenager, and really missing the target. That sounds harsh, but I'm 17, and I've never heard a teenager speak or act like that, and I'm certain that their internal monologue doesn't sound so young either.





Front Lines by Michael Grant


Front Lines (Soldier Girl, #1)1942. The fate of the world rests on a knife’s edge. And the soldiers who can tip the balance . . . are girls. Set in an alternate World War II where young women are called up to fight alongside men, this is the story of Rio Richlin and her friends as they go into battle against Hitler’s forces. But not everyone believes that they should be on the front lines. Now Rio and her friends must fight not only to survive, but to prove their courage and ingenuity. Because the fate of the world is in the hands of the soldier girls.disappear?

Shouldn't it be her boyfriend Dylan, who makes her feel this way - not Miss Murray, her English teacher?


I don't know where to begin with Front Lines, but it was fantastic. How about we start with this;



“You’re a girl.”


“No, sir, I’m a sergeant.”



Like Team Awkward, this was an unsolicited proof copy. I wasn't aware of this novel even existing, but upon reading the press release, I was immediately intrigued. 


Michael Grant's alternative history of World War Two was fascinating, and a breath of fresh air. There was so much diversity within this story, because not only were many of the soldiers women, but two of the three soldiers we followed were from backgrounds whose we don't always consider looking from when learning of history. Rio was white, Frangie was African-American, and the most interesting perspective of all; Rainy was Jewish. Front Lines felt like it ticked a lot of the boxes many YA books currently fail to do so when it comes to bringing something new to the table. 

This book was great, and a great new entry in the YA fiction world. But I personally wouldn't continue the series. I'd highly recommend that you - yes you- do, but I think one book was enough for me. History is fascinating, but this period of history just isn't something that I'm interested in reading more of right now. However, as soon as I read this, I passed it onto my brother, and he loved it, so that's a start.


Thank you so much to Electric Monkey at Egmont for sending me these books for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.