Saturday, 14 January 2017

2017 Reading Goals



We're 14 days into 2017, and so far, reading is going rather well. 3 books into my 50 book challenge and whilst the books I've read have been mediocre, there's good reads on the horizon. For me, 2017 is about consistently challenging myself and pushing myself out of my comfort zone in all aspects of life, including in my reading. Bearing that in mind, I've decided to create some broader reading goals for how I'd like to shape my year in literature...

1. Don't stress about reading - I think sometimes I push myself to read more than I actually want to. I love reading with every fibre of my being, but there are occasions where you can push yourself into reading when you don't want to be reading. As a result, in the past couple of years, I've read some books that I've seen as mediocre that at any other time, could have perhaps become favourites.

2. Continue reading with variety - This worked surprisingly well in 2016. Unlike the year before in which I regretfully enveloped myself in YA, with a prominence in YA contemporary, 2016 was a year ranging from poetry to play scripts, from Sci-Fi to numerous classics. In doing this, I'm becoming increasingly aware of what I like and dislike, and what styles work for me. Reading with variety means that you don't become sick of genres at the same rapid pace you would if you were to inhale a one-genre diet, and through trying different genres, I no longer feel like my tastes are confined to only one area of fiction, but instead I'm content to try everything and anything.

3. Read 50 books - Given that by September, I'll be commencing an English Literature degree, books are going to be an even bigger part of my life in the latter part of the year. Completing this challenge, with the help of reading countless books for my degree can be guaranteed to be easier than it has been in past years. Like in 2016, 50 feels like a reasonable enough number that I can take a break from in the run up to exams, but also catch up with and potentially surpass over the summer and autumn months...

4. ReRead Favourites - (Without adding them to Goodreads) Life on Goodreads would be an awful lot simpler if, like with half-stars, they just let you up the amount of reads you'd had of a book and add it to your yearly challenge without having to add a new edition each time. Binge-rereading the Harry Potter series for the first time in 5 years in 2016 taught me that I should/need to reread them, particularly HBP and DH, each year from now on. Furthermore, I have full intentions to reread Cursed Child before seeing the play in August. I want to do this without worrying about whether they constitute towards the Goodreads goal and instead just because I want to read them.

5. Read More Non-Fiction  - Last year I read 5 non-fiction books. Over the course of the year, my the amount of read non-fiction books appeared quaint in comparison to the ever accumulating TBR pile. Goodreads and also my growing urges to read more about politics and feminism has meant that my to-read list on the site is more fact than it is fiction. I'm not saying that I'm going to read solely non-fiction in 2017, but as it seems to be a growing interest of mine, I should probably do something about it. 

6. Read More Shakespeare - Studying Antony and Cleopatra and Othello for my A Levels has taken me from loathing to loving Shakespeare. Even though both of these plays have been fascinating, there are others that I couldn't hide my disappointment at not studying. At all the universities I've applied to, Shakespeare doesn't appear to be studied until third year... so unless I take the leap, it's going to be a while until I read some more. If and when I can, this summer would be the perfect time to read a few more of Shakespeare's works, with King Lear, Hamlet, The Winter's Tale, and Much Ado About Nothing topping my list. 

What are your reading goals for 2017?

3 comments:

  1. I hope that your goals work out for you! I myself do need to read more, as I kind of fell into a slum in 2016 in which I re-read books that I loved, but 2017 is the year that my favourite author releases a new book, so I'm getting into that. I agree with you 'don't stress about reading' point - it is meant to be enjoyable, relaxing, not a stress-fest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really hope you get out of the reading slump and find some books that make you fall back in love with reading again -- and hopefully your favourite author's new book will be amazing!

      Delete
  2. I definitely want to read at least 50 books this year. I also want to continue posting on my blog and to just keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I really appreciate every comment and do my best to provide a response.